Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Only Full-Time Need Apply.....

"I couldn't stand the thought of being a part-time mom to my kids...."

Seriously....that's what she said. No, I didn't rip her head off....but I wanted to. I didn't comment on the audacity and impossibility of her statement...but I wanted to.

Actually, it made me think of my helpers....Those wonderful people who are there when I can't be. Who don't think twice about wiping my kids noses or booties. Who give treats, hugs, and reassurance...to the kids and mom.

I have been amazingly blessed in this department. My first babysitter with The Scientist volunteered for the job. The second, too. Then on to preschool...I loved those teachers.....

Pretty Princess's first sitter I didn't know well, but was told by the Spirit to call her. (Yelled at my the Spirit, actually) Later I found out that they were struggling to make ends meet and what I offered to pay her was just the amount. She was awesome. It's not everyone who will roll out of bed, pregnant and nauseous to let someone else's toddler wander in at 7:00am.

Don't even get me started on the back-up list. Those people you can call when your regular arrangements are a no-go. I have been blessed with friends who would answer their phone at 6:30am and happily tell me to drop off my little one at 7:00am. I once had an work emergency come up in the evening and Brutus was stuck at school. I ended up taking The Scientist and a couple of jars of baby food (I picked up on the way, since we hadn't even been home yet) to a friends house--she then fed him and took care of him until way in the evening.

Now I am blessed with a neighbor who looks forward to Fridays with the girls, a great friend who sends me notes about Sweet Angel's day, and an amazing 16 year old who loves to spend a few days a week during the summer taking care of 3 energetic kids. (No kidding..this girl actually calls me and volunteers to watch my kids.....)

Do any of them replace me? No, they never could. At one point I feared that. But I've learned that it's not possible. No matter where I am, I'm the mommy....Full-Time Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment