Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Polishing.....


I've cried a lot lately. I think as working mothers (or mothers in any situation) leaving our kids is heart-wrenching. It's left me searching for reasons, explanations. Why did we feel so strongly that I should take this job right now? Why am I having to leave my kids to go care for others and work for others? Why can't I get out the door without feeling like my heart is breaking?

Then I found this old article from the Friend. It's bit of a bio of Henry B Eyring, but something in it grabbed me. Hard. And stuck.

President Kimball spoke at President Eyring's mother's funeral. She had apparently been ill leading up to her death and regarding this, President Kimball said, "God loved her, and He was polishing her."

So simple and so true. I'm very rough. I don't shine. I don't sparkle. But, lately every time I leave my kids, my appreciation for them and my role as their mother sparkles more. When I have a bad day and am alone in car leaving work, my reliance of my Heavenly Father shimmers more. When I have that lonely lunch hour to myself and my thoughts drift to scriptures and true priorities, my appreciation for his Great Plan gleams more. When I rush around in the evening packing lunch bags, diaper bags, work bags, school bags, sports bags, and filling crock pot bags, then collapse into bed too hyped up to sleep (therefore I have eye-bags) I am forced to pray more, ask for Divine help more, and my reliance on Him twinkles more.

So, I accept that I am a working mother right now being polished.

Because He wants me to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment