Monday, February 1, 2010

Repurposing.....

So...I haven't posted for a while. Really, I've been thinking about this blog a lot. When I started it, I just wanted a place to put my thoughts on this whole thing. As I've gone through the last couple of weeks, I've found myself searching for something to give me a lift. I've searched for articles, blogs, books, anything for the working LDS mom. Not a lot out there. Sad. There are so many of us.

So...while I'm sure the ranting and venting will take place, I am going to make an effort to turn this into something more positive. Great experiences. Supportive comments. Scriptures. Articles. Talks. Anything I can find. Maybe there is another working LDS mommy out there that needs this too.


So...here goes tonight's find.

"As mothers, perhaps our most important responsibility toward our children is to love them, to teach them, and to nurture their spiritual and emotional growth. Fortunately, we do not usually bear that responsibility alone, for the Lord gave that privilege to men and women alike. (See D&C 68:25, 28; Moses 5:12.) This, then, is a first priority.

The temporal welfare of the family is another responsibility that men and women share. From the beginning, women have worked to help support their families. After Adam and Eve were driven out of the Garden of Eden, “Adam began to till the earth, and to have dominion over all the beasts of the field, and to eat his bread by the sweat of his brow, as … the Lord had commanded him. And Eve, also, his wife, did labor with him.” (Moses 5:1; italics added.)"

Jan Underwood Pinborough, “Working Double-Time: The Working Mother’s Dilemma,” Ensign, Mar 1986, 22

I'd never really thought of this before. For thousands of years mothers have worked beside fathers to provide temporally for their children. It's just been relatively recently that the choice to share this role involved the possibility of leaving home for work.

So...Could I stay home and work? I could probably find something. A home-business, teaching music, there would be a couple of options. But, I felt very strongly about seeking the education I did. I prayed about it--a lot. At various times since finishing graduate school I have had those "TaDa!" moments. My education has allowed be to contribute to providing for my family, in ways that would NEVER have been possible otherwise. I'm not talking luxury here; I'm talking the basics.

Are you a mom like that?

Give yourself a high five (or some M & M's)for getting that education...

Do you know a mom like that?

Give her a hug (or some M & M's) and tell her she's awesome.

You can read the whole article here. Give yourself a hug tonight. You're fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment