Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Positivity!!!

I found someone to watch Sweet Angel (1 year old) while I'm working. It was great. The friend who is going to watch her said yes immediately and was so POSITIVE about it. Even more, when I explained to her that I was going back to work, she was excited for me. She was so supportive and had nothing but POSITIVE things to say.

I ran into another friend at church this week. While talking, I told her I was going back to work. She gave me and hug and told me how wonderful it was that I had this degree and job I could use. She was so POSITIVE.

While talking to another friend, making plans for playdates, I mentioned I was going back to work. POSITIVE again!!! She said she knew how much I love what I do and how great it was I had the job opportunity and shift options that I do.

Go back 7 years....I finished grad school, got a job, and 8 months later became a working mommy. Brutus was in grad school and couldn't work, so we chose for me to continue working to support our family. We lived in a ward full of similar families---hubby in school, young kids at home. But the vast majority chose to have mom stay home and lived on student loans. Nothing wrong with that, just not what we felt was best for us.

But, why couldn't they be POSITIVE, too? Or at least be quiet. "Don't you want to be with your kids?" "How can you stand the thought of someone else raising your child?" "I could NEVER be apart from my kids all day--I love them too much" (Umm...so I don't love mine? Is that what you're saying?) And my personal favorite "In my family, we believe in following ALL the teachings of the church, not just those that are convenient. " (I kid you not, someone actually said that to me...several times....)

What a difference a litte positive comment can make......

2 comments:

  1. And on the flip side, in the same ward, I got comments like "I could never stay home all day. I need mental stimulation." Oh, so I'm an idiot and baby talk is as far as I'll ever progress? Wish people could just love each other and think the best instead of spewing sour grapes all the time. It's a good thing you're so forgiving and gentle--you never smack people even when you have the right to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Bahama Mama!!! Can't we all just get along or shut up?

    But Forgiving? Obviously not....I've not forgotten and I blogging about it...years later....

    Gentle? Only in public....smack downs tend to be confined to verbal venting to sister or husband...They have perfected the smile and nod and let her vent...

    ReplyDelete