Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Eyes of The Scientist

So this week it started. As of yesterday I am employed full time. It was a long day. I don't know why; it was the same length of shift I've been working a few days a month. I think it was the emotional toll of knowing this was now different, even though it was the same, it was inherently different.

Monday, I finally told the kids. Yeah, I know. Perhaps more warning would have been a good idea, but I kept putting it off. Why? Fear.....I was afraid they wouldn't be upset. Seriously, I was afraid they would not be at all saddened by the announcement that "Mom will be around 35 hours less per week." In fact, I was worried they would be happy, giddy, downright joyful, cheer even. Especially considering it was followed with. "Dad will be working half days on Tuesday and Thursday and will pick you up from the babysitter/preschool/school."

Dad?

Yeas, Dad...That mythical creature who we only see from the pew at church? That guy you always tells us to make smile on Sunday because he's about to nod off and/or is looking a bit glum? Dad? I remember him. He makes homework easy, and never adds extra. He lets us eat in front of the TV and watch cartoons before bed.

Good riddance, Mom.....

Reality? They didn't say anything. For a long time......Nothing. Then The Scientist turned to me, with head down, and those big brown teddy bears eyes turned up, and said,

"Mom, I think I'll miss you."

No comments:

Post a Comment